#header-inner {text-align: center ;}

Friday, October 18, 2013

"The Race that Stops a Nation" (from going to work)

Everyone told me that Melbourne Cup Day was a big deal; it's sometimes known as "The Race that Stops a Nation." 

On day of the Melbourne cup, the men wear suits, the ladies wear hats, most people place a bet, and everyone watches the race. At least that's what I heard. 

"They've made it a national holiday in Victoria" I was informed every time it came up in conversation with an Australian. 

In fact, I was told this nearly as many times—and with the same tone—as I have been told that Australia is much bigger than I probably think. ("You know, it's the same size as the United States").  

Anyway, I imagine to be in Melbourne on the day of this famous horse race would be pretty intense, but in Sydney it just kinda felt like a Tuesday. 

I suppose there were a few extra people in the streets that day —and maybe they all looked a bit tipsier than they might normally look on a Tuesday morning at 11am. Perhaps they also happened to be wearing more flamboyant feathered hats than they might have worn on any other workday. Nothing too crazy though. 

What I really found out about Melbourne Cup Day though, both from my own observations and from talking to people, is that it is a brilliant excuse to skip work for the day—which my colleagues and I took full advantage of on an afternoon cruise on Sydney Harbour. 

Aside from beautiful views of the harbour, there were drinks, a fashion contest, big screens to watch the race, and a fancy seafood lunch buffet (which I of course managed to spill all over my dress). 
(Which my supervisor decided to tweet about...)

By the time the race began, it all seemed a little anti-climatic; the room fell silent and we watched the little horses and their jockeys race across the screen for a couple seconds. Then everybody immediately got back to enjoying themselves on the cruise. 

Maybe I only feel this way because I didn't place a bet; I suppose if I had just won (or lost) some large sum of money, I may have found the whole thing a little more exciting...

The way I see it though, I was lucky enough just to be treated to a nice afternoon out of the office!







No comments:

Post a Comment